Re-Opening Plans or Return back to work/volunteering Plans

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • May 12, 2020 7:17 AM
    Reply # 8963011 on 8925873
    Alice Wanninger (Administrator)

Appreciate the responses and shared wisdom provided here. 

While attempting to get more focus thinking around all the details specifically related to safety and ethics involving return of volunteer services, would like to expand this question further, but not limited to the below:

• Is anyone working with your organization's  Risk and Legal teams about return plans with volunteers?  
    • Are you reviewing your organization's insurance coverage for volunteers, or is there consideration of having volunteers sign a waiver prior to returning?
    • What about further requirements in vetting of new and returning volunteers with additional COVID-19 testing prior to returning? 
    • If so, does the organization cover costs or does this become the volunteer's responsibility?
    • Other?  What other details are you considering?

Thank you,

Alice L. Wanninger, CDVS - Director of Volunteer and Auxiliary Services - Mercy Health - West Hospital - Cincinnati, OH

alwanninger@mercy.com

• May 11, 2020 11:16 AM
    Reply # 8961079 on 8925873
    Heather Schalk (Administrator)

Hello Friends!

I submitted a proposal to my Health System's Incident Command Team, requesting to reinstate volunteers in our Hospital Gift Shop and our second hand store (which is off-site).  Our Gift Shop is just inside the Hospital's main entrance, and volunteers would not go beyond that area nor take flowers up to rooms, etc.  In that proposal, I also listed all new procedures we'd implement - everything from what ODH requires for retail, to our Health System's safety protocol, supplies needed and requirements of returning volunteers.  It was approved and we plan to slowly re-instate Gift Shop volunteers within the next few weeks. 

• May 07, 2020 10:32 AM
    Reply # 8953048 on 8925873
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

Our organization is not in a place yet to create a timeline or guidelines for bringing volunteers back so unfortunately I don't really have an update like I thought I might. I can however share that a member of AHVRP has created a private Facebook group called "Volunteer Managers in Healthcare". This group is not affiliated with AHVRP so you don't have to be a member to join! The purpose of the group is to connect and share as we all navigate through these times together. The admin for the group is Joan Perry, CAVS. When you ask to join the group you will have to answer the "questions" for your request to be approved - the question is "are you a volunteer manager in healthcare" :) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/volunteermanagersinhealthcare/ 

• April 30, 2020 12:52 PM
    Reply # 8937774 on 8925873
    Christine Martin (Administrator)

Cara, I would love to know what your discussions were earlier this week.

At our hospital, the only volunteers we are utilizing are remote visits from our Spiritual Care Volunteer Chaplains.  Patients are provided a phone number to call, which is routed to an internal line.  That line is forwarded to the cell number of the volunteer on call.  Volunteers sign up for 4 hour shifts via Sign Up Genius, and the paid staff chaplain ensures that the line is forwarded appropriately every 4 hours.  This service is offered Mon-Fri during business hours only.

Our volunteers are chomping at the bit to get back to work and serve the community they love.  I appreciate any ideas that are working in other hospitals.  Thanks!

• April 29, 2020 3:33 PM
    Reply # 8936023 on 8925873

We have postponed most of our volunteer programs until further notice. 

The only program we have currently have active is the delivering of our mobile meals to the home-bound residents.  No Volunteer enters the hospital as we meet the drivers outside the hospital entrance for loading and unloading.  This consists of about 44 volunteers and several paid team members.  

We are anticipating bringing volunteers back in phases and determining the PPE needed for them to complete their assignments.  We do not have any idea of the timeline at this point. 

As I have read and understanding of the three phases, I am thinking volunteers return will occur late in phase two at the earliest more likely in phase three.

• April 25, 2020 12:08 PM
    Reply # 8927588 on 8925873
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

Hi! I have a system meeting this week to discuss this topic! I will share details! 

• April 24, 2020 10:25 AM
    Message # 8925873
    Alice Wanninger (Administrator)

Just looking for thoughts and/or concerns from other volunteer management professionals in regard to returning back to work and/or volunteers returning back to volunteering. 

I understand thoughts and plans are as fluid as anything else regarding COVID-19, but would like to open up the discussion.

• Returning in stages
    • Re-Education/Refresher training
    • Recognizing some volunteers may choose not to return
    • Any virtual processes going on out there?  If so, what?
    • Any services taking place outside of the hospital where volunteers are involved?
    • Other ...

Looking forward to the sharing and learning from the experts we have in OHVMA.

Let's stay in touch, stay engaged, stay ready, and stay well.

Alice L. Wanninger, CDVS - Mercy Health - West Hospital - Cincinnati, OH

alwanninger@mercy.com - 513-227-6484

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >>