Exclusion screening for Active Volunteers

• September 21, 2019 1:43 PM
    Reply # 7892556 on 7816779
    Anonymous

At UC Health we have been screening our volunteers through the Office of Inspector General for the past several years.  Like our employees they are screened the exact same way.  To date I've never had a concern arise, and the volunteers filled out a form upon orientation agreeing to having this as part of their partnership as a volunteer with UC Health.

Should you need more information, feel free to reach out personally!

Sheila Maxwell

• September 18, 2019 12:39 PM
    Reply # 7887447 on 7816779
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

Hi Karin!

I recently moved hospitals and the question of how to do the sanction screening on a monthly basis as opposed to only at intake was just being asked at my previous hospital. At my new hospital, I am working with our VP of Ethics and Compliance on how we (they) can complete the screening on a monthly basis. We haven't solidified our process yet but, I know this is a "hot topic" and if our peers in OHMA haven't received the request from their administrators yet, they will! 

Thank you for sharing this article! I will keep you in the loop with where we end up once we finalize our process! 

Thanks! Cara 

• August 07, 2019 12:47 PM
    Message # 7816779

Does anyone know if your organization is screening your volunteers for exclusions through the Office of Inspector General?  I was recently asked to start providing a list of active volunteers on a monthly basis to start checking this via our Compliance Department.  I've included a link to an article that provides more information.   

https://www.complianceresource.com/publications/health-care-providers-should-screen-unpaid-volunteers/