Volunteer Orientation

• March 05, 2024 11:26 AM
    Reply # 13324969 on 13315466

-Volunteer Orientation Process: After the interview, the volunteer completes their health screening with our Employee Health department. After they are cleared, we send them an online orientation and quiz to complete and all of their paperwork to sign. Then we schedule an in-person orientation/onboarding session (tour, Scavenger Hunt, badge, computer training), which is about 1.5 hours. They usually complete their specific assignment training during their first scheduled shift.

-Health Requirements: We require proof of vaccines or immunity for MMR and Varicella, TDap vaccine, annual flu vaccine; TB test (blood test). Our Employee Health department conducts the TB test and will give them any required vaccine they do not have. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

• February 16, 2024 10:03 AM
    Reply # 13316563 on 13315466
    Diane Honsberger (Administrator)

I conduct the interview and orientation which covers safety, HIPPAA, Infection Prevention, code of conduct, etc.  

We require TB test (one time-not yearly) and yearly Flu vaccine

I  have the new volunteer train with a seasoned volunteer who has been in same position for some time.  In most departments the employees don't have the time to train them. 

• February 16, 2024 7:42 AM
    Reply # 13316502 on 13315466

Thank you Heather for your time in responding to my post.  One more question, do your volunteers get a drug screen at sign up?  

• February 15, 2024 10:36 AM
    Reply # 13316021 on 13315466
    Heather Schalk (Administrator)

Hi Michelle

I conduct the initial volunteer onboarding (HR paperwork, ID badge, etc). Then when possible, I defer the position-specifics & training to the individual departments.  This allows for better volunteer-staff engagement; establishes a department contact person for the volunteer, etc. 

Right now we have no vaccination requirements.  However if a volunteer DOES have the COVID vaccination (any step) I am to document it. 

Thanks!
    Heather

Blanchard Valley Health System, FIndlay OH

• February 14, 2024 12:50 PM
    Message # 13315466

Hello,

I am looking to revamp my volunteer orientation. 

- Can you please share with me your volunteer orientation process. 

- What, if any, lab screening/vaccination requirements do you have for your volunteers?

- What educational information do you provide your volunteers?