Volunteer Retention

• September 02, 2021 8:23 AM
    Reply # 10976182 on 10969422
    Libby Ballentine (Administrator)

Unfortunately, yes.  I am seeing volunteers decide to take a leave of absence.  Some folks who were in the pipeline to return (following the massive dip in numbers in late June/early July) have also stopped communicating about setting a return date.  I do still have quite a few college students who are desperate for hours to add to their med school applications.  I have been able to push some folks towards virtual volunteering instead.  In our case, that is crafting items for patients - blankets, hats, etc.  I would love to leverage other virtual options but have yet to land on anything solid that would attract the volunteers who are interested in patient interactions.    

• August 31, 2021 10:02 AM
    Reply # 10971772 on 10969422
    Anne McGookey (Administrator)

I would be surprised if everyone isn't dealing with this scenario.  I am losing volunteers as well and I would say most have related to COVID in some fashion.   Depending on their 'reason', I am suggesting a possible 6 month Leave of Absence in hopes things turn around.  But if I get a sense they probably won't really return, I have also suggested simply removing them from the roster for now ensuring them that the door will always be open for a return in the future.   Realistically, we can't keep them on the roster indefinitely and include them in mailings, functions, recognitions when they aren't serving as an active volunteer - that's not fair to those who are active.    Will be interested in what others are doing as well.  Good luck!

• August 30, 2021 12:42 PM
    Message # 10969422

Hi all!  I am starting to hear from more volunteers that they want to take a break from volunteering- they don't all cite Covid as the direct cause (some do) but all of their issues seem to be linked to Covid-related changes- e.g., staffing changes, changes in their responsibilities, etc.  Is anyone else dealing with this?  Do you have any advice about how to handle it?  Thanks!

Replace this text with your copyright information and address.

"Place your organization name here" is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization. Michigan , P.O. Box 1234, South Lyon, MI 123456