Volunteer Retention

• September 02, 2021 8:23 AM
    Reply # 10976182 on 10969422
    Libby Ballentine (Administrator)

Unfortunately, yes.  I am seeing volunteers decide to take a leave of absence.  Some folks who were in the pipeline to return (following the massive dip in numbers in late June/early July) have also stopped communicating about setting a return date.  I do still have quite a few college students who are desperate for hours to add to their med school applications.  I have been able to push some folks towards virtual volunteering instead.  In our case, that is crafting items for patients - blankets, hats, etc.  I would love to leverage other virtual options but have yet to land on anything solid that would attract the volunteers who are interested in patient interactions.    

• August 31, 2021 10:02 AM
    Reply # 10971772 on 10969422
    Anonymous

I would be surprised if everyone isn't dealing with this scenario.  I am losing volunteers as well and I would say most have related to COVID in some fashion.   Depending on their 'reason', I am suggesting a possible 6 month Leave of Absence in hopes things turn around.  But if I get a sense they probably won't really return, I have also suggested simply removing them from the roster for now ensuring them that the door will always be open for a return in the future.   Realistically, we can't keep them on the roster indefinitely and include them in mailings, functions, recognitions when they aren't serving as an active volunteer - that's not fair to those who are active.    Will be interested in what others are doing as well.  Good luck!

• August 30, 2021 12:42 PM
    Message # 10969422

Hi all!  I am starting to hear from more volunteers that they want to take a break from volunteering- they don't all cite Covid as the direct cause (some do) but all of their issues seem to be linked to Covid-related changes- e.g., staffing changes, changes in their responsibilities, etc.  Is anyone else dealing with this?  Do you have any advice about how to handle it?  Thanks!