COVID 19 - Looking ahead - Opening Gift Shops

• April 23, 2020 8:31 AM
    Reply # 8923702 on 8911543
    Anonymous

Good Morning!

Our gift shop is hospital owned and has been closed to shoppers entering the store since March 13th.  We have been doing phone orders in the meantime.

Looking forward, does anyone have any information on how to clean your gift shops once you are given the green light to reopen? I've been reading how grocery stores have been spraying some type of disinfectant. Wondering if that is an option for us?

Best,

Sally Miller

Supervisor, retail operations, volunteer services and reception

UH Ahuja Medical Center

• April 22, 2020 5:04 PM
    Reply # 8922739 on 8911543
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

Hi! Great topic and great questions! Our gift shops are run by Lori's Gifts and were closed by our health system right after the volunteers were suspended although, we do not have volunteers in the the gift shop so the two decisions were not related. I am not involved in the contract with Lori's so I am unsure what the plan is for their return to the hospital. 

Missing all of you!  Stay healthy and we will get through this together! 

• April 21, 2020 8:38 AM
    Reply # 8913540 on 8911543
    Julie Jacobs (Administrator)

We have had our shop open this whole time. Employee refuge place!  I have been manning it:)

Right now we do have limited hours 11-2 just because that is typical lunch time around here and we have such limited hospital staff (furloughed 120ish employees)  doesn't help shop sales that is for sure!

We do not have a barrier in place nor do I think that I will be provided one.  I do wipe down the counter, pens etc after each customer.

We are very small also, so I would say that I would not be able to have more than 4 people in the store at a time.  I have noticed when there are multiple people in the shop they are very cautious about getting in others way.

I am in the process of developing a Facebook page with our products and offering curb side pick up (because our shop is right by the main entrance with easy access).

As far as touching things-some people have asked if they can touch (I offer hand sanitizer).  That would be the easiest option is to make customers use hand sanitizer as they enter.  Then they should be okay to touch.  As far as trying on clothes-no.

I am guessing that I will not bring the volunteers back till the beginning of June.  I have not been given any direction yet, but I am guessing my CEO will want to wait till a majority of restrictions have been lifted.

I can't remember what else you asked in your email.  If I missed something let me know.  Hope all is well!

oh masks-we are wearing masks right now all the time, regardless where we are at.  I don't see that going away anytime soon.  I am basically already preparing that the volunteers will be required to wear masks when they return.

Last modified: April 21, 2020 8:39 AM | Julie Jacobs (Administrator)
  • April 20, 2020 4:07 PM
    Message # 8911543
    Anonymous

Ladies

Praying all is well!   Looking ahead - Opening Gift Shops - 

1. How will you keep the shop disinfected?
    2. Limited Hours?
    3. At first - take orders - bag them and deliver or set outside the Shop?
    4. How will you keep the 6ft distance (since most shops are small) and can have more than one visitor/customer?
    5. Customers looking and touching...
    6. Will the checkout be - a barrier to protect both volunteer and customer?
    7. Will we wear masks?

Thank you! Ladies :0)  Look forward to hearing your input - we have a GREAT, SUPER group of future/forward thinking GALS!  You go GIRL!

Stay safe!  Love y'all! 

Cathy Windsor