COVID-19 Volunteer Communication

• April 02, 2020 3:24 PM
    Reply # 8875478 on 8853497
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

Hello again :) 

After all the ideas I have seen and the different ways to do them I now will do 2 different projects. Right now I am going to work on a video/slideshow for the staff from the volunteers. A colleague through AHVRP (Chris Perez from Atrium Health in North Carolina) shared his video and it is amazing! I am going to try to share the link here - it is a youtube link so I am not sure if it will work. If not, and you are interested, just email me and I will forward it to you! I think this in combination with the pictures from staff to the volunteers will be AMAZING for everyone!! 

The link for Chris Perez's videos is https://youtu.be/XsrY4_p9ziQ 

• April 01, 2020 10:42 AM
    Reply # 8872013 on 8853497

These are great ideas! Thank you for sharing! After seeing these ideas, we asked our volunteers to take photos to share with staff and we have received a few so far. One department responded with a photo to send to their volunteer! 

Cara, I have the same worry about overwhelming the staff. I like that idea of including a "Missing you" sign they can print. I think I might go the email route too? I want to do it earlier vs later before we hit the peak.

For Volunteer Appreciation Week later this month, we are hoping to send the staff photos to the volunteers to let them know we miss them and appreciate them. 

This community has been incredibly helpful during this time. Thank you! 

Last modified: April 01, 2020 10:45 AM | Madison Kramer
  • April 01, 2020 10:18 AM
    Reply # 8871978 on 8853497
    Anonymous

Awesome!!! You go girls!

• April 01, 2020 10:10 AM
    Reply # 8871968 on 8853497
    Anonymous

I printed my own signs, and simply stopped in lots of departments asking them to pose with the signs as I will be sending greetings from their department to their volunteers.   All were on board.  Attached is a sample from the ER Reg. Staff.  

1 file
  • March 31, 2020 10:22 AM
    Reply # 8869724 on 8853497
    Cara Ranft (Administrator)

I LOVE all the ideas!!

I am trying to figure out how to get pics from staff without overwhelming them. I think I will send an email asking them to snap a picture with a "MIssing You" sign (that I will send and they can print out if they want) so I can make a collage to send to our volunteers? 

And I love the idea of asking the volunteers to send selfies too!! 

Thank you ladies for always being a source of support and creativity :) 

• March 26, 2020 9:06 AM
    Reply # 8859902 on 8853497
    Anonymous

Great ideas! Ladies !

I have been emailing/calling my volunteers - last week sent out handwritten notes...

The making of masks (direction of) has been taken on by the quality office; still looking at what's available.  I do know the local quilt group has been making gowns and masks for hospice (per their ask) and a few EMS folks as well.

To answer Alice - both of our gift shops are closed - as we do not have volunteers in the healthcare system now.  

Great job All!  Praying for all members and their families to be healthy & safe!

Cath Windsor

• March 25, 2020 9:00 AM
    Reply # 8857565 on 8853497
    Julie Jacobs (Administrator)

I just sent out the same request to my volunteers!

I have been doing emails and phone calls to check in with volunteers and see if they need anything.  I have also mailed them a letter with pictures of me doing their work and not looking all too happy about it.  I have also asked the departments that utilize volunteers to send me pictures of them missing their volunteers also.

• March 25, 2020 8:56 AM
    Reply # 8857561 on 8853497

Love that postcard, Heidi!  So cute!

We are doing an email request to have volunteers (and pets) send a selfie with a sign or just send an encouragement sign picture through email and then are going to have those posted on our intranet site for staff to see that volunteers are thinking of them too. 

Here's a super cute one we received.

1 file
  • March 25, 2020 8:47 AM
    Reply # 8857551 on 8853497
    Alice Wanninger (Administrator)

These are so good.  You are so creative and talented.  Thankful to have you as part of OHVMA and our network experts! 

I've been checking in by emails and phone calls.  Volunteers are so grateful for call or email. 

More than ever, this is an important time to stay connected to our volunteers.  They are worried about staff who have become extended family and the staff worry about the volunteers who they have come to call family as well.

Today I will be rolling out an invitation to volunteers and auxiliary members to participate with making "comfort/snack/treat bags and writing "encouragement notes" for staff.  This was an ask from our CNO.  These notes will be thanking staff on those front lines, encouraging them, in hopes to strengthen their spirits as well as staying connected.

The making of face masks is rolling out from a corporate level.

I've also heard of gown making projects that might start at other facilities.

While many companies and community members reach out to offer assistance I have been asked to be a part of a committee that will organized and coordinate these efforts. 

Would love to hear from our members about volunteer/community projects, tasks you may be doing at your site, etc...during this crisis. 

OHVMA website and this section of Ask Your Peers is a wonderful place to connect, learn and grow with other experts in our field.

What about Gift Shops.  Are your gift shops open?

Let's all stay in touch and more importantly stay well,

Respectfully,

Alice L. Wanninger, CDVS - Mercy Health - West Hospital - Cincinnati, OH

• March 24, 2020 9:05 AM
    Message # 8853497
    Heidi Reed (Administrator)

Just wanted to share a quick idea for reaching out to your volunteers while they are out...I designed these postcards and we printed them in-house, so they are very inexpensive.  Postcard postage will also keep the cost down.  On the back side, I have space to write a quick note, our logo and return address, and a space for name and address.  I plan on working my way through my list of volunteers and reaching out to as many as possible.  I also printed mailing labels for my whole list and picked one design to affix them.  I am going to distribute these to staff (who have time....of course not disturbing those who are very busy at this time) to jot a note and drop it in their outgoing mail.   

1 file